Prevent Smash & Grab
Thursday, 1 January 2015
High streets and town centres are the hub of a community so every effort should be made to ensure visitors, staff and residents are as safe as possible – and this applies to cars and car parking facilities too. The Safer Parking Scheme is a nationwide initiative designed to reduce the opportunity for crime to occur in car parks and thus reduce fear of crime for members of the public. Safer Parking status, Park Mark®, is awarded to parking facilities that have met the requirements of a risk assessment conducted by the Police, giving confidence to car park users. These requirements mean the parking operator has put in place measures that help to deter criminal activity and anti-social behaviour, thereby doing everything they can to prevent crime and reduce the fear of crime in their parking facility.
This carries many benefits for customers and operators alike:
• Customers are assured that there is a commitment to providing a high quality, safe parking facility by the operator
• Cutting crime helps car park operators save money by reducing the carbon footprint of the car park
• Advice and consultation from BPA Development Managers to ensure car parks are at the required standard to achieve the Park Mark®, Safer Parking Award
• Support from accredited Police staff who will assess the car park to ensure it meets the Park Mark® Safer Parking standards
• Free listing of car park(s) on www.parkmark.co.uk - fully searchable by the public
The scheme is open to anyone with an interest in the reduction of crime and the fear of crime in society, from parking facility operators/owners to individuals or organisations that simply want to be affiliated to the scheme.
The scheme is managed by the British Parking Association (BPA), on behalf of the Association of Chief Police Officers and supported by the Home Office, Scottish Government and the Police Service of Northern Ireland. For more information about the BPA visit www.britishparking.co.uk